SUBSCRIBE: Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Google Play | Android Apps
What goes through your mind when you hear the word “negotiation?”
Are you hesitant? Do you feel like you need to walk into a battlefield and unsheath your sword (hella scary!) or wear a power suit so you look “tough?”
Tori Dunlap wants to assure that it’s not the case at all. In fact, it’s more about a mutual agreement and a conversation you can have as soon as today. She comes on Beyond The Dollar to chat about how to approach negotiations from a mindset standpoint, why using some online resources can backfire on you when determining salary and small tips on how to boost your confidence when negotiating.
Tori Dunlap is the founder of Her First $100k where she gives women actionable resources to reach their first six figures. Her career started with landing a digital marketing contract worth tens of thousands, and a full-time position as the head of marketing and communications for a global security company — all before she turned 22.
What You Hear in This Episode:
- Why Tori feels she needs to fight back over sexist comments she used to hear at her old job
- What the common myths around negotiation are and how we can approach it as a conversation
- Other ways negotiation can affect your work and personal life
- How you can start flexing your negotiation muscles
- Why salary databases like Glassdoor aren’t always accurate when it comes to helping you negotiate for more
Questions to Ponder:
- What you do in your daily life to practice your negotiating muscles?
- What will you put in your “brag binder” to psych yourself up at how valuable your skills are?
*remember, let me know in the comments below your answers! If you’re a social media person, come find me on Instagram (@beyondthedollar) and send me a DM or comment on any one of my posts. I read every single one!
- The Ultimate Guide to Money Mindset Mastery
- Values Based Spending Guide
- Freelance Writing Kickstart – use code BTDLISTENER for 10% off course
- Her First $100k
- Follow Tori on Instagram
- Tori’s negotiation script
- Financial Grownup interview with Sarah
- Financial Grownup interview with Tori
*Thanks to Donovan Dorrance for the awesome theme music