Sarah and (former co-host) Garrett chat with Melanie Lockert, the founder of Dear Debt, a blog that aims to help people remove the stigma around mental health and debt. She is also the co-founder of the Lola Retreat, which helps bold women face their fears, own their dreams, and figure out a plan to be in control of their finances. We chat about her history with mental illness, how that’s impacted her financial life, what sparked her desire to help those feeling suicidal over their debt, and how money can be the most important (and useless) thing in the world.
What You Hear in This Episode:
- Melanie’s family history with mental illness
- Money’s role in helping Melanie manage the impact of mental illness
- What she learned about debt and suicide when she started her blog
- What people can do to maintain a sense of normalcy when they’re overwhelmed
- Why money is both the most and least important thing in the world