Do you find yourself feeling bad or jealous when you see other’s “success”? What happens when we start comparing ourselves to others?
In this episode, we talk about how comparing ourselves to others takes a toll on both our financial and emotional well-being. We talk about how “keeping up with the Joneses” has evolved and been exacerbated by social media, how to catch ourselves when we fall into the comparison trap, and how getting clear on our priorities and values allows us to break that cycle.
Sarah and Garrett also go over some simple exercises and questions to ask yourself when you find yourself falling into the comparison trap. They also chat about how they’ve fallen into this themselves, and what they’ve done to get out of it.
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Android Apps
What You Hear in This Episode:
- The crucial difference between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation
- How it’s easier to fall into the comparison trap today compared to even five years ago
- What we can do to stop feeling negative when we find ourselves looking at other people’s lives
- An extreme example of someone who pretended to go on a trip to Southeast Asia (and nobody knew she was faking!)
- Why Sarah decided to delete her Instagram account
More From Garrett:
More From Sarah:
SHARE ON INSTAGRAM/PIN IT:
Being a badass with your money is as easy as asking yourself what you want.
Download our values-based spending guide and figure out how to revolutionize your financial decisions ASAP.
(psst...we also send you occasional emails on how else to live beyond the dollar. You in?)