This week’s guest is Melissa Burton, a non-diet Registered Dietitian Nutritionist that empowers women to break free from diet culture and finally feel positive about their relationship with food and their bodies. We chat about the current state of diet culture and how it leads us to spend money because we don’t’ feel like we’re enough. We also talk about why diets don’t work, leading us to spend more, and how we can look within ourselves to help make better food choices so that we can empower ourselves in our entire lives, including how to be more mindful when it comes to spending money on food.
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Android Apps
What You Hear in This Episode:
- Melissa’s definition of diet culture
- How the current view of diet culture leads us to make mindless decisions around our finances
- Melissa’s experience with diet culture and how it led her to feel like she wasn’t enough and spending gobs of money
- How marketing, psychology and the effect messaging has on the relationship that people (especially women) have with food
- What we can do when faced with messages of us being not enough
- How we can use money in a way that supports our bodies and even help others rediscover that they’re enough
- What is intuitive eating and other types of non-diets
Questions to Ponder:
- What can you spend money on today to feel GOOD about your body?
- Or, what’s a purchase or financial decision where you feel like you’re enough, and it’s not simply to be skinnier, but helps you feel healthy inside and out?
*remember, let me know in the comments below your answers! If you’re a social media person, come find me on Instagram (@beyondthedollar) and send me a DM or comment on any one of my posts. I read every single one!
- The Ultimate Guide to Money Mindset Mastery
- Values Based Spending Guide
- Freelance Writing Kickstart – use code BTDLISTENER for 10% off course
- Follow Melissa on Instagram
- Follow Melissa on Twitter
- What Happened When I Started Intuitive Eating
- Melissa Burton
- Intuitive Eating
- We’re Proud & Saddened To Share Kelsey Miller’s Final Anti-Diet Project Post
- How Goop’s Haters Made Gwyneth Paltrow’s Company Worth $250 Million
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop has been accused of peddling pseudoscience. She’s not having it.
- Hashtag Authentic Episode 61: How diet culture is stopping you from playing bigger, with Laura Thomas
- The Mindful Diet: How to Transform Your Relationship with Food for Lasting Weight Loss and Vibrant Health
- Health at Every Size community