Think homeownership is out of reach for you?
Well, there are these types of properties called fixer uppers you can look into. They’re typically older homes and have outdated decor – you know, think 70s paneling and shag carpeting (no offense if you like that stuff)
Anyway, you get the house, replace the carpet, slap on some paint. And you’re done…right?
Not so fast. Bethany and her partner Charles from HisandHerFI.com relied mostly on Youtube videos to do much of the renovations themselves for their new home. The arbitrary budget of $10,000 they set? Yup, they totally went over.
Join me in this episode as we chat about why they decided to buy a fixer upper (despite the foul smells), why their renovations aren’t what you’d see on HGTV and how much money they really spent. We also go over how much money they saved buying a fixer upper and some of the lessons they’ve learned next time they try to tackle a huge project like this.
Stick around to the end where I’m going to show you how you can make housing more affordable, especially if you’re interested in buying a fixer upper (no white hair I promise).
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Android Apps
What You Hear in This Episode:
- Why Bethany and Charlies decided to buy a fixer upper and what Charles had to do to convince her
- How much they really spent on the renovations
- What projects they decided to DIY and which they ended up having to hire
- Some of the many mishaps and badass moments when it came to their renovations
Questions to Ponder:
- What is your comfort level with doing renovations and cleaning for an older home?
- Have you sought out the advice of a licensed contractor for estimates and quotes?
- Will you really save money by buying a fixer upper, or will you be better off renting for the time being?
*remember, let me know in the comments below your answers! If you’re a social media person, come find me on Instagram (@beyondthedollar) and send me a DM or comment on any one of my posts. I read every single one!
- The Ultimate Guide to Money Mindset Mastery
- Values Based Spending Guide
- Freelance Writing Kickstart – use code BTDLISTENER for 10% off course
- Bethany Works
Being a badass with your money is as easy as asking yourself what you want.
Download our values-based spending guide and figure out how to revolutionize your financial decisions ASAP.
(psst...we also send you occasional emails on how else to live beyond the dollar. You in?)