True story. When I first took my then side hustle full time, I had these grandiose dreams of watching my son, having him asleep by my side while I typed away in total bliss. Why would I need childcare? I thought. I can juggle motherhood and self employment.
Boy was I wrong.
One day, I was up against a few deadlines and was already sleep deprived, because you know, I have a baby. He was teething and let’s just say he was not handling it well. When my husband came home. It was total chaos. I’m talking the entire apartment was trashed (who knew small toddlers can wreak such havoc?) I’m on the couch with tears in my face and all I could remember my husband saying to me was “why don’t you take the care and go do something by yourself.”
I drove my butt down to the nearest McDonalds, bought a meal and say in the corner of the play area…and well definitely learned my lesson about the idea of “having it all.”
My guest this week, Maggie Germano is also going through many of the same struggles ambitious self-employed folk have. As in, how do you juggle the needs of motherhood with where you want to strive in your career? Do you have to constantly hustle to grow a business, or does slowing down really throw everything off the track? What about being present with the baby, or navigating boundaries with your partner?
She comes on the show to talk about the perceived conflict that is motherhood and ambition. She shares how she’s embrace the uncertainty as to comes to her income and business goals, emotions she’s facing, and what’s she’s not willing to give up as a mother.
SUBSCRIBE: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Android Apps
What You Hear in This Episode:
- What Maggie did to prepare her business for her maternity leave
- What has both surprised and drained her juggling both work and motherhood
- Why she feels it’s important to talk with support systems about needs and boundaries
- What ambition, work and rest looks like in this iteration in her life, and how she no defines ambition differently
- Maggie Germano
- Money Circle Podcast
- Check out Maggie’s articles on Forbes
- Follow Maggie on Twitter
- Finding Your Enough Number
- The Ultimate Guide to Money Mindset Mastery
- Emotional Spending Guide
- Values Based Spending Guide
*theme music by Donovan Dorrance