Melissa Becker seems like one of those rare folks who wants to adopt multiple children at once, especially foster children in the U.S.who have siblings and don’t want to be separated. After her traumatic first adoption experience (we’re talking about having to fight for her rights to maintain a stable home for a special needs child), she turned to private adoption.
That isn’t easy either. There’s the waiting. and the disappointments at not being picked. Once she was in “competition” with four other families to adopt a girl with a heart defect and well, let’s just say that didn’t end well.
That’s why I’m so thankful Melissa came on the show to talk about her experience adopting four children, two from the foster care system and two through private agencies. She chats about how much she spent (we’re talking tens of thousands of dollars on lawyers fees alone), her mental health during that time and what she’s most thankful for throughout the whole process
SUBSCRIBE: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Android Apps
What You Hear in This Episode:
- Why Melissa decided to adopt
- Why Melissa had to go to court after adopting her first child, and what it cost her
- What went through Melissa’s mind when she had to deal with mountains of paperwork
- Her thoughts on private adoption agencies and why she went that route even though she would rather adopt through the foster care system
- Why she started looking into grants and the frustrating process when asking for money
- What it felt like to meet her children for the first time
- What Melissa would say to some who is interested in adoption
- Email Melissa about adoption at firstname.lastname@example.org (mention you heard her on this podcast!)
- Gift of Adoption
- Adopting From Foster Care: Clarifying The Misconceptions To Build A Loving Home
- Understanding trauma
- How to Adopt: State Adoption Info
- The Ultimate Guide to Money Mindset Mastery
- Values Based Spending Guide
Being a badass with your money is as easy as asking yourself what you want.
Download our values-based spending guide and figure out how to revolutionize your financial decisions ASAP.
(psst...we also send you occasional emails on how else to live beyond the dollar. You in?)