SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Android Apps
John Morrow, a 69 year old retiree from Lakeland, Florida, comes on the show to chat about his financial regrets – including the fact that he’s now relying on a tiny pension and meager Social Security benefits after squandering his 401k funds on multi level marketing companies. That’s not all. Him and his wife also battled cancer at various stages in their lives. And while John was dealing with remission, his wife suddenly dies of cardiac arrest, just a few short months ago.
He chats about what it means to live at the U.S. poverty level since his wife passed, the biggest financial regrets he’s had, what he’s doing to take responsibility for his actions now and what he wishes the younger generation learns from his story.
Stick around to the end where I’m going to distill some takeaways from our conversation, including some questions to think about as you’re navigating through making intentional choices with your money.
What You Hear in This Episode:
- How much John is currently living on with his pension and Social Security benefits
- The types of health challenges him and his late wife faced
- What John’s biggest financial regrets are and what he hopes others learn from his experiences
- How he’s cultivating hope and a sense of purpose for the future
- What John’s doing now to be a better steward of his money
Questions to Ponder:
- What are some ways you can be more present with those around you?
- How can you use money to help your future self (e.g. tithing for yourself)?
- What are some expenses you can cut out and still have a great quality of life?
- Why are you making certain financial decisions (e.g. rooted in insecurity, etc.)?
- How can you cultivate a sense of community to help you have a sense of purpose outside of your financial situation?
*remember, let me know in the comments below your answers! If you’re a social media person, come find me on Instagram (@beyondthedollar) and send me a DM or comment on any one of my posts. I read every single one!
- List of recommended books to help you in your financial life
- Episode 40 – Grieving a Spouse With Daniel Knopp
- The Ultimate Guide to Money Mindset Mastery
- Values Based Spending Guide
- Freelance Writing Kickstart – use code BTDLISTENER for 10% off course
*Thanks to Donovan Dorrance for the awesome theme music
Being a badass with your money is as easy as asking yourself what you want.
Download our values-based spending guide and figure out how to revolutionize your financial decisions ASAP.
(psst...we also send you occasional emails on how else to live beyond the dollar. You in?)